Saturday, September 10, 2005

Just a new rant

I have finally figured out what will be the one aspect of teaching that I may have a hard time coping with. I have a student who wears the same clothes every day and these clothes are not in the best condition. He sometimes smells, but not too much. I don't know what to do or if there is anything that I can do. I don't want to ask him anything because i'm afraid it might hurt his feelings. I don't know what his home life is like or any thing about his situation. I think he is admirable because he comes to school everyday. I have to admit that he has managed to touch my heart in a way that few others have been able to in awhile. I have brought this to the attention of my new master teacher in the hope that she might be able to do something, but I don't know if she has or can. I guess the point of this is to simply complain about life. I'm not sure. I just think it is so sad.

1 comment:

little meanie said...

Hi Norma, it's good to know you are still out there. Too bad we don't have classes together. I'm on the part time program so I did my tutorial and now I am with the middle school. I'll finish completely in June. I sure love the students I have. I brag that my class is the best. I compliment them all of the time. I'm already freaked out about leaving them in November. My cooperating teacher says I need to work on class management. I think she means teacher management. I have proven to be clumsy. The kids get a kick out of it, but it's a little embarrassing. She says I need to project my voice better. I see it this way, if they want to hear me they better be quiet. I am sorry to hear about the physical issue of the student you are concerned about. I think sometimes the best you can do is admire him for coming and continue to be sympathetic. I am sure there are extenuating circumstances. As we are both moms we know we would check our kids for cleanliness before they left for school, and we are both people who would do laundry, and hopefully have more than one set of clothing for our kids, even if it meant going without for ourselves. So provided all of the logical conclusions to the matter, take heart in the fact that he is a strong student, and no matter what his circumstances he will someday make a better life for himself. He might be embarrassed if any mention were made of his situation. Again I'm glad you are in touch, Lisa