Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Interesting Day, Month, Semester

So far I have to say that my experience is so different from last semester. I actually am made to feel like an equal and not an intrusive entity. I love my placement, master teacher, other teachers, department chair, duplicating clerk, principal secretary, and most of all my students. Do you think I'm enjoying this experience? OH YEAH!

At times my class can be trying, but I'm slowly bringing them to the understanding that I have no life and am not afraid to stay in at lunch to talk to them, or keep the whole class. I wrote my first detention yesterday and enjoyed it. That worked to quiet down my two most rambuctious students. The other students are not as bad and take the lead of the wild ones. With them calmed class was pretty calm today.

The most interesting think about today is that we were supposed to have a sub and for one reason or another he or she did not show up. I don't know the whole story, but I became a sub for today. I have to say I enjoyed having my class to myself. Luckily today was a minimum day otherwise the five straight classes I taught would have been draining. In those classes there is only a small break of ten minutes. Full teachers I don't know how you do it, but I got a taste of it today. I'm lucky though most of my master teacher's students know me and respect me more than a sub. However, I had to raise my voice in one class that is used to seeing me but don't deal with me as a teacher. They think I'm cool. I had to remind them that today I was in charge. Overall they behaved well. The cool thing is that I'm getting paid as a sub for the day. OH YEAH!

The Rant: I'm annoyed that I have to create a portfolio. I understand the concept of a portfolio, but with full time student teaching, meetings, classes, two jobs, and a child of my own I don't want to do it! I just want to whine about it. I've done a pretty good job of keeping with all the necessary items for my portfolio, but I'm tired!

1 comment:

little meanie said...

Hi Norma, I am loving my students, I don't know how I'm going to leave them in November. They are very respectful. I would not mind teaching 8th grade at all. I hear that a new middle school is opening in the fall in Blossom Valley (Out here in East County). A lot of the teachers currently employed in the Cajon Valley district will be going to the new school. I will definitely apply, especially if I have a chance at being placed at my current location. I'm looking forward to high school student teaching next semester. I, being less than 5' tall can surely understand how many students will think you are "cute". I think they learn pretty fast that short doesn't mean push over. As for the portfolio, I have just been stuffing things away as I go. Just trying real hard now to get the standards down. I know that little project is ahead of me, I feel your pain. Take it easy. Lisa