Monday, March 14, 2005

Digital Natives

I haven't really noticed if my students are digitally inclined. The only experience I have is with my daughter, who I haven't seen or spoken to since she got her own computer. Since she is in middle school I guess I can use her for my subject. She and all of her friends are computer literate. They spend more time im'ing each other than they do talking on the phone. She understands HTML a lot better than I do and is able to navigate the web with ease. I think she owes this to a friend of hers. A few years ago they became obsessed with the internet. I worried that my daughter would never learn to like to read anything because she preferred being on the internet. I was proven wrong by Lemony Snicket. Thanks to those books, which she read in a week making me proud to claim her, she discovered reading. She still worships her computer, but she can become interested in books. She has the advantage of growing up in a house that has had a computer for as long as she can remember.

No comments: